SAFEchild, Wake County’s only child abuse and treatment organization, is commemorating its 20th year this year. I shan’t say “celebrating” because it’s simply heartbreaking that our community even has the need for the existence of this organization. I proudly serve on SAFEchild’s board and have seen firsthand how families benefit from the myriad programs and services SAFEchild offers. There are many cogs that make our wheels turn – volunteers, partner agencies, community organizations, staff, donors, and our inimitable executive director, who has been with SAFEchild since the beginning.
SAFEchild is the essence of community. We are driven by and for our community.
20 Reasons to Support SAFEchild
- The name alone says it all. Stop Abuse For Every child.
- This is one of few non-partisan groups around. Protecting children from harm is not a political battlefield.
- Children in our own community are hurt and hurting.
- Break the cycle of abuse.
- Child abuse can be prevented.
- The executive director, staff, volunteers, and board members are the most commited bunch of people I have ever encountered. It’s both humbling and mind boggling (in the best way!).
- Evidence based programs have demonstrated proven results.
- A community flourishes when its children are nurtured and loved.
- Child abuse affects every corner of our community.
- Families are being transformed by SAFEchild’s various programs and services.
- Children’s lives are literally saved through our prevention, treatment, and advocacy.
- What a profound gift it is to help children learn to live and love again.
- Welcome Baby - Provide support and friendship to a new mom
- Funny Tummy Feelings (My son did this…wowza!) – Support a program that teaches first graders the skills to protect themselves from physical and sexual abuse
- Nurturing Progam - Help families create a safe haven at home, free from abuse and full of encouragement
- MOVE program - Help mothers overcome domestic violence
- PLUS program – Support children and teens through a collaborative partnership with Motheread®, Inc.
- Crianza con Carino – Support this unique program that blends child-rearing information with social supports to strengthen Spanish-speaking families in Wake County
- Advocacy Center – Bolster this community-based center that provides evaluations for children when there is a concern for sexual abuse, physical abuse, and neglect
- Ensure we can protect children and strengthen families for another 20 years.
There are so many ways to support SAFEchild. I invite you to join us for our 20th anniversary gala, appropriately themed Believe in the Magic of SAFEchild.
Friday, April 25, 2014 at the Raleigh Country Club
400 Donald Ross Drive
Raleigh, NC 27610
Individual Ticket: $75 (That’s a deal considering that all proceeds from the event will benefit SAFEchild’s programs to prevent child abuse and neglect in Wake County.)
Join me and other SAFEchild friends to celebrate 20 years of changing lives in Wake County!
The event will feature heavy hors d’oeuvres, cocktails, music, and dancing. Bid on live and silent auction items including vacations, restaurant experiences,sports and theatre tickets, and much more! And who doesn’t love a date night that includes wearing some jaunty heels and a party frock?
You can always donate to support our programs if you can’t make the gala!
How Your Gift Helps
- $2,400 Gives two at-risk families the opportunity to learn new parenting skills through a 12-week group class
- $1,200 Provides integrated, comprehensive services to a young victim of severe physical or sexual abuse and their family at the SAFEchild Advocacy Center.
- $600 Pairs a new mother with a trained Welcome Baby mentor mom to guide her through baby’s first year
- $300 Teaches 100 children about Funny Tummy Feelings and how to protect themselves from unwanted advances
- $120 Helps provide snacks and course materials for a family participating in group parenting classes